Information Model

jimphelps

I'm uncertain how we would enter the following relationships into the Information Layer in the meta-model?

Our Student Information System (SIS) is the source for Curricular Information. The Curricular Information is reflected into a Curricular Hub (Operational Data Store). A set of Web Services expose various parts of the Curricular Data (Course-core data, Course-Extended Data, Class-core data, Class-day_time data, Roster-core, etc). These Web Services expose the concepts of Course, Class, Roster.

Could you tell me where in the model you would enter these elements? Which sub-levels should each be stored in?

Thanks,

Jim
jason.powell

Jim,

based on the description you provided, here is an illustration (using Roster as an example) of the approach we would recommend for capturing information about your Web Services and the information concepts that they expose.

We hope this is of help to you.

Jason
(Essential Project Team)
Essential Project Team
jimphelps

Thanks.

Follow on question (for 100 points): did you enter the data in Essential Project then use a visual plugin to generate the graphic in your answer or did you draw the graphic in another tool?

If you entered the data and generated the graphic, what plug-in / tool did you use to generate the graphic?

This type of output is exactly what I hope to be able to generate on-the-fly from Essential Project.

Jim
jason.powell

I used a drawing tool to create the graphic (I guess I miss out on the bonus points), however, it is possible to create views of a similar nature in more dynamic ways.

One option, is to use a plug-in that comes with Protege called Jambalaya (enabled by selecting it in the 'Project | Configuration..' menu option). This is a plug-in that provides a configurable graphical representation, within Protege, of the classes and instances that exist in your repository. In addition, the views presented can be saved as static images (e.g. jpeg, png) for use elsewhere.

With Jambalaya, it is also possible to save, import and export custom view configurations as files. We believe that this has the potential to be very powerful, as it will allow Essential Project community members to develop custom Jambalaya views and share them with others. At this time, we do not have a Jamabalaya tutorial available that is specific to the Essential Project, however, an online getting started guide and user manual can be found on the Chisel Group website (the developers of the plug-in).

Another option is to create a custom report for the Essential Viewer using a combination of JSP and XSL to generate SVG. This is the approach that we have taken to create the 'Logical Business Operating Model' report that you have as part of your base installation of the Essential Viewer. If you take a look at the jsp and xsl files for this report, you will hopefully get a good idea of the approach that we have taken. The files for this report can be found in a directory under your Apache Tomcat installation, specifically,

• {Tomcat_Install-Dir}/webapps/essential_viewer/business/logical_business_op_model.xsl - for rendering the outer page of the report (i.e. header, footer) and embedding the dynamically created SVG image.
  • {Tomcat_Install-Dir}/webapps/essential_viewer/business/logicalBusOpModelXML.xsl - for creating an XML file representing the nodes and arcs of the SVG view to be generated
  • {Tomcat_Install-Dir}/webapps/essential_viewer/business/logBusOpModelSVG.jsp - for generating the SVG to be embedded in the final page
[/size]

Additional information on creating custom Essential Viewer reports can also be found in a reply to another forum topic here.

As you may guess, the second option is somewhat more involved and requires knowledge of JSP, XSL and XML. We are continuously looking for new and interesting ways to enhance the Essential Viewer component (e.g. using Open Source reporting tools), but are yet to find one with the flexibility that XSL gives us. However, if anyone comes across plug-ins or components that could enhance the capabilities of the Essential Viewer, let us know via the forums and we will happily investigate.

Regards,

Jason
(Essential Project Team)
Essential Project Team
jimphelps

Thank you Jason. Your answers help a lot.