Viewer Publishing Error: due to reportXML.xml size > 50MB?

xiaoqi

Hello,

This problem troubles me for more than one month, I've kept monitoring the behavior and now would like to report to you to see whether there's any constraints inside the viewer design.

We'd used the OpenSource editor for quite several months, and one day (about a month ago) suddenly I cannot publish to remote server. (Please see attached image as illustration).

It should not due to my Protege tool, since I am still able to publish to localhost without any problem.

I've cleaned viewer in remote server and reinitialized making the remote side is exactly same as my local viewer. (both Tomcat settings are same, and I can use remote Tomcat for my other web services still).

The only guess is looked like that it happened right after our "reportXML.xml" file size over 50MB.

Before I try more other troubleshooting, may I get your opinion with you have met the similar issue with publishing XML file over 50MB? Or any built-in constraints?

As workaround, I'm now publishing to my localhost, then go to the local viewer folder, manually copy the "reportXML.xml" file and overwrite the one in remote server's viewer folder, after I restart the Tomcat server in remote side, the updated content can be viewed in the remote site. It's working "smoothly" but too much inconvenient.

Any hints are helpful, thanks a lot.
Xiaoqi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neil.walsh

Hi,

There is no 50mb constraint (or similar) regarding Viewer or publishing. In fact, we have customers with reportXML files at more than 10 times that size.

This means something else must be causing the problem. Some things you could check....

Is port 8080 open for inbound connections in the remote server firewall?
This is the most likely issue. The firewall might exist on the server itself or more likely as a "security group" in a cloud server console such as AWS or Azure.

From your local machine, try running the following from the command line

Code: Select all

curl -v http://MyRemoteIP:8080 
If you get no response then this means the port is not accessible and you need to investigate your firewall/security group settings for the server.

Other (less likely) things
Is the remote server running the exact same version of Tomcat?
Does the remote server have enough RAM to handle this? For a 50MB reportXML you'd need ~2GB heap size in Tomcat
Have the memory settings for Tomcat been configured? https://enterprise-architecture.org/uni ... y-settings

Let me know if this helps

Neil
xiaoqi

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your so quick reply, good to know there's no file size limitation ;-)

The "curl -v" command gets the successful reply.

Indeed, the issue is from the Java Heap Size, we just checked that setting. We had just checked the max heap size in remote server's Tomcat setting, strangely it is 1024 now. After increased it to over 2048, now the publishing is successfully.

Not sure why this is happen, however, as the server is centrally managed by our company's IT team, we'll investigate any reason for that change. Anyway, now it's working.

Thanks a lot, and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Xiaoqi
neil.walsh

That's great. Thanks for letting us know.