Modeling functions in essential project

skydive

Hello everyone,

I am new to the essential project tool, i would like to get your thoughts on the modeling functions of essential.

Can you actually do visual modeling in the tool?
Does it support importing models from other modeling tools?
What modeling notation does it support? (ex: Archimate, UML)
Can i enforce a meta-model to control entities and their relationships across different models?

your feedback is much appreciated.

regards,

Enterprise Architect
jonathan.carter

Although there is some visual modelling within the Protege environment, we take a different - knowledge-based - approach in the Essential project.

We are notation independent and most of the modelling is about using simple forms to define the elements of your architecture and then related them to each other - constrained by our detailed and extensive meta model - to capture the dependencies between the elements.

This approach means that we can - in the Essential Viewer - produce views of this knowledge in almost any format you might want. This can include standard visual notations such as UML Activity Diagrams or the Archimate notation. However, it could also include non-visual perspectives such as XPDL or WSBPEL.

The Essential Meta Model provides over 450 meta classes to cover the main domains of Enterprise Architecture with a powerful range of support classes for things such as Strategy Management, Performance Management, Compliance etc.
If we've missed anything, the meta model is designed to be easily extended.

New entities are captured as instance of these classes and the simple forms guide you in definition of each and all the relationships to other instances. You don't have to fill in every field in the form and it's often very useful to capture just a name and description of some elements and elaborate on their details later. However, with only the name of any element, we can still create relationships to it from other instances, and this enables us to model at different levels of granularity as required.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
skydive

Thanks Jonathan for clarifying that up.

Cheers