Import of Application List (as XLS oder CSV)

wgoebl

Hi,

I tried to find a plugin which can be used to import a CSV List into Essential Project.

There is a plugin called "Excel Import" but it only works for protege 4.0 and I didnt find another plugin for 3.x

What is the best way to import our List of applications which we currently maintain in Excel into Essential?

Thank you a lot
Wolfgang
jonathan.carter

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your post. This is an increasingly common requirement.

Our Integration Tab plugin is better-suited to XML rather than XSL and is a bit technical to use. However, as Sarah mentioned in her blog, we have new Import Utility that's been used internally in the team. We're looking to release these as a beta, soon. We want to make sure that we've resolved the bugs that we know about before we do!

Alternatively and in the meantime, Clint Cooper contributed this Data Load tool that generates a Python script that runs in the Script Console tab to load data. I think that works well for simple loads of lists of, e.g. applications, processes.

We often find that mapping the source content to the Essential Meta Model requires intermediary instances to be created (e.g. of relationship classes) and our import utility has powerful capabilities for this sort of thing.

Hope this helps - and we will note your requirement so that we can get the beta version ready as soon as we can.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
ulfl

Congratulations to the release of version 3 of the Essential platform!

Any news on the "Excel Data Capture Template" mentioned by Sarah. I saw that it is not part of the 3.0 release. Will it be part of a 3.1 release?

We already developed custom scripts to load data from Excel. This was useful during the initial implementation to quickly capture existing information. Now to maintain the information a tool supporting a full round-trip (export to Excel, import from Excel) would be very useful.

Ulf
jonathan.carter

Thanks Ulf!

We hope to have a beta release of the Excel import tools ready very shortly and we will announce this as soon as it is available.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
anthonygomes

Is import from excel tool available yet?
jonathan.carter

Yes, very much so.

The Import Utility is a web application that is included in the v4 installer.
Let me know if you would like a preview of the next version (with many enhancements and fixes)

Jonathan
Essential Project Team