Using the Modeller with a Different Metamodel e.g. TRAK

trak_definer

I've been toying with the possibility of using the Essential Modeller with a different metamodel, specifically TRAK http://trak.sf.net (metamodel at http://trakmetamodel.sf.net).

I like the OWL approach that Essential uses because it enforces rules and is amenable to reasoning. In TRAK, as with Essential, the metamodel embodies a set of rules so I can see that expressing these in OWL is a natural thing. In TRAK there are additional rules, expressed in sets of tuples from the metamodel, that enforce content in each TRAK viewpoint (a view specification in accordance with ISO 42010) so I guess these could be expressed using OWL.

Before I consider the significant learning curve in getting grips to specifying something in OWL etc. I need to make sure this is feasible:
  • what does the Essential Modeller require in order to make it work?
  • would I need any other customisation e.g. in order to get viewpoints?
Are there other traps I've not thought of?

I realise that this might be a little cheeky but I think we're after the same goals and I don't want there to be either a 1-way-of-modelling or indeed a 1-architecture-description-language e.g. UML fits all approach/monopoly.

Thanks

Nic
------------------------
Epitaph: 'Under this sod lies another'
jonathan.carter

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your post.

I think the most important point to make is that although we are using Protege, we are not using OWL. For some more background into why, have a look at this blog article I wrote about OWL. Please note, this is not a critique of OWL per se, rather an answer to the FAQ of why we have chosen not to use OWL.

We have purposely chosen to work with Protege Frames, which enables us to very clearly separate the development of the meta model from the capture of instances. As you populate the model, we are creating an ontology about your enterprise. Reasoning in various forms is at the heart of how the Essential platform works - typically delivered by the Views - and the meta model has grown over time to provide very clear semantics for the model/ontology.

Depending on your philosophy to the purpose of the model that you build in Protege, your choice of OWL or Frames might be more appropriate.

In terms of the Essential Architecture Manager toolset, I also think it's worth noting that this is the reference implementation of the Essential Meta Model. We have developed the meta model over the last 11 years or so and whilst we have developed all our widgets and the Essential Viewer platform of Essential Architecture Manager to work with any meta model (which is obviously very advantageous for the continuing development of that!) we can't guarantee that all the components will work as expected with an OWL project in Protege.

In terms of how Essential Architecture Manager works, have a look at the over of Essential Architecture Manager, which gives a good overview how it works.
The Viewer environment, as I described in a more recent blog, is really a toolkit for producing the views that you require. We provide some out of the box but we certainly don't expect this to be all you'd ever need. Rather we expect users to use the included views as a starting point from which to produce their own views - remember that each view (from a TOGAF point of view) is generated dynamically. The Essential Views are templates that are used by the Viewer to generate each particular view.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
Essential Project Team