Segments in Essential.

EAJoe

I like what I've seen so far, and we are moving forward. We are using the concept of Segment Architectures here, any advice on how to best model them?

Thanks.
EAJoe

It looks like segments = Business domains.

Thanks!
jonathan.carter

When you say 'segments', do you mean TOGAF architecture segments?

Assuming so, then yes, Business Domains provide the ability to define areas within the organisation. Very much in line with the following definition from TOGAF 9.0:
The overall enterprise is divided up ‘‘vertically’’, into enterprise ‘‘segments’’, each representing an independent business sector within the overall enterprise, and each having its own enterprise architecture with potentially all four architecture domains (business, data, application, technology).
As the Essential Meta Model is framework independent, you may find that there's not an exact match but let us know how you find using the Domains to capture your segments. To provide views that focus on a particular segment, you can create Views that filter the repository starting with the relevant Business Capabilities for a Business Domain

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
EAJoe

Yes, we are loosely following togaf, mostly the ADM, but our segment concept is from the US Federal Enterprise Architecture. I think this approach will work, I'm getting the hang of Protege etc.

As an aside, we are missing the "Project Technology Strategy Alignment" report from your demo video. Someone else has set up the server side for me, I'm assuming we are missing the "Strategy Pack" and this must be explicitly applied, or something like that?
jonathan.carter

That's right. This 'Project Technology Strategy Alignment' view is included in the Strategy Management Pack that was released recently.

The pack includes a number of updates to the meta model in Protege, which are applied via the Script Console.

A set of new views is also included in the pack that need to be copied over into the relevant folders in the Essential Viewer web application in Tomcat (or your alternative Java Web Application Server).

Keep us posted as to how the Domains are supporting your segments approach.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team