Strategic Logical Business Operating Model

[email protected]

Can anyone wrap a few more words around the following text from the tutorial in order to help me understand what is required in order to publish and view value chains in Essential Viewer. Thanks in advance, I am new to this so appologies if I am asking somethine quite simple.

This report needs to have the 'root' Business Role defined in order to work. Please select the 'root' business role, e.g. Investment Management Company, Logistics Company, that is relevant to your organisation before publishing and running this report.
From: http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... ting-model.
jonathan.carter

Hi Martin,

I think the first thing to note is that the Strategic Logical Business Operating Model provides a view of the relationships between roles in the organisation. So, how does the enterprise operate in terms of the organisation structure. The 'root' role that needs to be defined in the report parameter is a Business Role instance that represents the overall organisation. Note that this is all from a logical, design perspective rather than the actual teams and individuals that make up enterprise. Those are captured as Actors.

The 'root' role tells the view where to start and from here, it follows all the dependencies between Business Roles that have been defined.

To set this, go into the EA_Support part of the model in Protege, and then go to Essential_Viewer. From here, go to Report in the Class Browser and find the Instance in the Instance Browser for the Strategic Logical Business Operating Model report. In here, you'll see a parameter called 'report parameter'. Click on the '+' button on this field and then select the 'root' business role that you wish to use.

Once you've selected your root role, re-publish the repository to the Essential Viewer environment.

I think that there may be some drawing anomalies with this view. I've recently seen it perform some strange layouts. Let me know how you get on with it, if it's the view you're looking for.

Currently, in the out-of-the-box set of views, there is nothing for displaying value chains. The Capability Chains in the conceptual Business Layer could be used to describe these, e.g. supply chains, demand chains etc. from a business capability point of view. However, there are no views defined in the OOTB set that display these.

If what you are looking to understand in terms of your value chains is about the organisation operating model, then defining business roles and the dependencies between them might give you what you need. However, this view won't show anything about information flowing between these roles or the like.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
henseggs

Hello,

I found this thread trying to get the 'Business Organisation Structure Model' report to work.

Is this report one and the same?

I've tired:
  • setting 'Report Praemeter1' to the Business Role
    Defining the business role as a constant in the Org Model - Root Organisation object
Could you advise how to get this report to work ?
jonathan.carter

This is not the same View. The business organisation structure model is a dynamically-built, interactive organisation chart that uses the Group Actor / Individual Actor classes and relationships.

Instances of these classes can be defined arbitrarily and groups can be defined from a team of individuals and groups of groups, all the way up to the Group Actor that represents the entire enterprise, or the 'root' of the organisation model. And it's this root Group Actor instance that we must provide as an input for this View.

This view uses a Report Constant called "Org Model - Root Organisation", which we can find in the repository in EA_Support / Essential_Viewer / Report_Constant

In that instance, we select the Group_Actor instance that represents the 'top level' of the organisation, e.g. "ACME Group" in the 'Associated Instances' field.

Then, republish the repository to the Viewer and this view will start with the root element and then produce the tree of its sub-groups and their sub-groups and so on.

There's actually a View Manual for this View within Essential Viewer that will provide some more details on which elements of the repository are being used. You can get to the via:
http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer/ ... 0Model%20-

or navigate to it from the View Manuals menu item in the header of the page.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team