Defining technology components for an application

prayadav

Hello ,

This might be the easiest questions ever asked :), but I am unable to find how should I add technology components implementing an application. I am browsing the capabilities EA using provided metamodel and stuck at

Supporting Technology Components
No supporting technology components defined for the AsiaPac SAP application
, because of which I am getting EmptySVgException error (, which I think is due to no technology component implementing the application . IMO, the application needs to catch these pesky error and display a user friendly message)

Regards
Prashant
jonathan.carter

You are quite right that that view should have a better error message!

This particular view is trying to show the set of logical Technology Components that have been defined as supporting the selected application. These are brought together in what we call a Logical Technology Component Architecture. These logical architectures can be re-used by many applications (e.g. we use a 'standard build pattern' for all our applications) or we can define a separate one per Application Provider.

The approach in the meta model is to encapsulate the details of this architecture which is useful when we know that there is one but don't know yet how it is composed. However, in order for this view to work, we need to know what's in it!

Working from the Application Provider, we can define the encapsulated architecture by creating (or re-using an existing one) a Technology Composite in the "Depends on Technology" slot. This pops up a form for the new Technology Composite (the container of the collection of components that make up the supporting architecture) and we can give it a suitable name - maybe reflecting a re-usable, standard technology pattern architecture or the fact that it's specific to our Application Provider.

From this form, we can define which Technology Components are required to support the Application by creating a new Technology Component Architecture (or re-using an existing one!) from the "Technology Component Architecture" slot. This pops up a new form on which we can drag and drop Technology Components from the palette on the left onto the canvas. Drag between components to define any dependencies between these components.

Note however, that these shapes represent the usage of a component in the context of this architecture. We must select each one of these shapes and open its form (either a double-click on it or select and push the magnifying glass button) and specify which Technology Component in the repository is being used. Note that when we do this, we can choose an individual component or another Technology Composite so we can use architectures within architectures.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team