Data Flow Integration Diagram

slivey

I am new to Essential and would like to know if there is a model type for showing how data/information flows throughout the enterprise. I would like to do a source to target mapping at 3 levels of abstraction:
1. Application
2. Data Object
3. Data Attribute (with transformations)
In doing this, I would like to connect the Application Models with Information Models.
Is something like this possible in Essential?
jonathan.carter

Thanks for your post.

Yes, this is possible and we're currently working on an extension to the Information Layer that adds more details around the Data Subjects and Entities that are used to 'produce' information.

This should be ready very soon and will provide Viewpoints that show the source to target view of any Information in the architecture. What data entities are required, sub-information etc.

In addition, Information flow is captured in the Business Process models, to show what information is passed from one step to the next. Also, dynamic Application Architecture models capture information passed between applications.

The bit that we don't currently cover is the transformation at a data attribute level. The new extension describes any calculation or derivation that is performed to create an Information Attribute from the underlying Data Attributes. However, this does not currently include detailed attribute-to-attribute mappings and transformation specifications between Data Entities. Although it will support capturing a description of the nature of any transformation. The aim of what we're working on is to accurately manage and understand the flow of data and information from source to target, rather than capture the details of the data integration that might be used to implement the underlying solutions.

Hope this helps - perhaps some more details around your requirements for the transformations and explore some options for improving our current work-in-progress?

Jonathan
Essential Project Team