giving something back

gioppo

You made a really wonderful work.
How can we send you back something like new instances of Products or Suppliers that you could use to enrich the essential_baseline?
jonathan.carter

Thanks very much, Luca!

We are very keen that anyone who wants to can contribute back to the Essential Project, for example:
- new Essential Viewer reports,
- meta model extensions,
- packs of instances as you describe or perhaps even "reference models" for a particular domain, e.g. consumer goods organisation, media company, academic organisation.
- potentially even new Protege widgets relevant to the Essential tools.

We are working on producing some example repositories that should help people to see what's possible - in particular in the Essential Viewer reports - and to give examples of how certain things are captured. These should be available very soon.

To contribute back, we have created the 'Share' section of the Community area. In here you can upload your contributions for others to take advantage of.

The form of your contribution will vary depending on what it is. Typically, Essential Viewer reports will be XSL or possibly JSP files. Meta model extensions are delivered as Protege scripts but we would be happy to accept a Protege project from which we would build the update script for others to download.

For packs of instances, you could send in a Protege project (the PPRJ, PINS and PONT) files. As you've installed on the database, you would simply convert your repository back to the Protege files and save it as a new project. This approach is particularly useful for things like the "reference models" I mentioned above.
For packs of instances, we have an instance import capability, that builds an import from the published repository snapshot that Essential Viewer uses. The import capability will be part of the Essential Integration Server that we are tidying up before general release at the moment.
If you have instances that you wish to contribute, we can supply the import tool which you could use to create the instance pack and then submit it. Or, you could contribute something like, e.g. a cut-down Protege project - if you didn't want to send everything - and as with the meta model updates, we would create the import.

The import tool is XSL-based, so is quick and easy to, e.g. select all the Products or Suppliers that you'd created.

Hope this makes sense but if you have any more detailed questions about or problems with submitting something for the project, please let me know and we'll sort it out.

Look forward to your contributions!

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
gioppo

It really does make sense.
I work mostly with open source projects, but not only.
I'm starting working with your an d starting adding some.
I think that since this is really just data entry and not real "smart work" it could be nice to help others (and myself when you will release a new version :D ) to send the stuff back.
To this I have no problem in giving back all the project since for now not much business oriented stuff will be inside, just adding tech projects that is the easiest part :lol:
For this task I let you choose the best tool to use.Tell me which will be your preferred method and we can try it out together.
I will also ask you something since as the annotation tool imply the classification work is often "questionable" not everybody would classify stuff in the same manner and if supplier can be straightfoward all the other stuff no.
Thank for the "openness" will follow when the work is done.
Luca