Custom Reports using D3.js

adeze

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has tried using the d3.js library for visualising aspects of the EA model?
i was thinking that something like
http://www.findtheconversation.com/concept-map
could be a useful visualisation (amongst others)

or this example
http://bost.ocks.org/mike/sankey/
eg perhaps to view capability mapping/heatmaps?

I guess the question is: how hard is it to transform the report.xml file into usable formats (eg JSON), and if anyone has such a library or sample reports?

thanks,
Adam
neil.walsh

Though we've not used the D3 library directly, we have used other libraries that use a JSON data structure to drive the view.

Take a look at the code the the Organisation Structure Model (core_bl_bus_org_structure_model.xsl) as an example.

D3 is a great library and works wonderfully for large data sets - I guess you just need the right business question...
adeze

Thanks,
yes its about the right question, but abstractly, it would be to visualise many-many mappings between 'things' potentially across more than 2 nodes to reduce click-through.

i'm still working on the exact business case- -its really for dealing with stakeholders who may not understand the model well, and need a simpler visualisation.

thanks for the feedback.
colinfrewen

Hi Adam,

If you are still looking at going down this apth we have built up the dashboards using d3.js, timeline.js and a few other specific library's.

We havnt automated the report.xml formation to json object and this still provides us some difficulties.

Happy to share where we have got to if there is still an interest.

Regards
Colin
colinfrewen

Juan E wrote:Colin,

We've stuck to the out of the box views so far. Do you have any screenshots that you could post showing what sort of views you have created and what they are used for?

It'd be good to see what we could potentially do.

Thanks

John
Hi John,

We have created many new views where we have specific needs relating our business model. On the look and feel we have modified to fit in with our organizations approach to online and intranet. The base views are really excellant but many need to be personalised to provide context relative to individual needs. ie' new filters, specific types of views or graghical requirments.