Exporting Models to PDF

brighton.ravele

Hi,

I am trying to export the Organisation Structure Model to PDF and not seeing where to do it. Failure to do that would mean that I just print the whole structure. Either one of these is fine with me, but it seems one cannot capture the whole organisation structure in one page and print it. Is there a way to do it that you can advise on?
jonathan.carter

Hi,

The PDF button on this view renders the contents of the table underneath the graphical view to a PDF document. This table shows the business services that each part of the organisation produce.

The graphical view at the top of the page is designed to be interactive rather than something to print but printing the page to a PDF should be possible at a reasonably coarse-grain perspective. For larger organisations, with this particular view, there is not a zoom capability.

In terms of ways forward, an option would be to produce an alternative view that uses something like the Plant UML rendering component (as we do for the Business Process Flows) to produce a PNG that can be zoomed, printed etc.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jmk

Hi Jonathan,
jonathan.carter wrote: In terms of ways forward, an option would be to produce an alternative view that uses something like the Plant UML rendering component (as we do for the Business Process Flows) to produce a PNG that can be zoomed, printed etc.

Jonathan
SVG would be a better format than PNG for that.

Moreover every major open-source browser should be able to render SVG now (can't speak for µSoft or Apple ones).

Note: As plantuml is able to produce both SVG or PNG diagrams, we modified the viewer here in order to obtain SVG instead of PNG for process and/or technology diagrams.
jonathan.carter

Good point - and SVG through PlantUML is what we will be moving to.
When we released the current UML views, I think we were having some issues with PlantUML rendering SVG.
The other issue is that although all modern browsers now support SVG (including Internet Explorer at last) we still have many requirements to support older versions of IE.

I agree that SVG would make much more sense than a PNG.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
brighton.ravele

jonathan.carter wrote: In terms of ways forward, an option would be to produce an alternative view that uses something like the Plant UML rendering component (as we do for the Business Process Flows) to produce a PNG that can be zoomed, printed etc.

Jonathan
I have not used PlantUML. Is there a particular process I need to follow to do this that you can advise on?
neil.walsh

PlantUML is one of the underlying components used in the Essential Viewer. As such there nothing you need to "do" to use it. It's simply coded as part of the overall Viewer.

You can find out more about PlantUML at http://plantuml.sourceforge.net