Organization Structure Model Rpt not working

bbain

Hi there,
We cannot get the Organization Structure Model Report to show anything. We have actors, roles, etc. and have followed the manual to make sure all the correct information is entered.

We defined 1 Group Actor as our parent, with it's Parent Organization being itself (is this how the system knows it is the parent or top of the org chart?). We added that Actor to the EA Support-Essential Viewer-Report_Constant-Org Model - Root Organization.

Can you supply us with any more information? We are interested in having this view work.

Thanks,
Bev.
jmk

Hi
bbain wrote: We defined 1 Group Actor as our parent, with it's Parent Organization being itself
This self-reference seems dubious to me, i would try without it.

bbain wrote: We added that Actor to the EA Support-Essential Viewer-Report_Constant-Org Model - Root Organization.

Can you supply us with any more information? We are interested in having this view work.
I don't recall of any problem after we added the top level actor to the root organization slot (as you did). However beware of special characters (such as quote) which are not well handled by essential as it is now.

One diagnostic tool you could use is the "error console" in firefox (under the tools menu). This console will let you know of any javascript error.
bbain wrote: Thanks,
Bev.
Hope it helps ...
bbain

Ok thanks. I will try that.

I think it might have something to do with the Taxonomy Terms. When I look in the xsl(and I am not that good at it!) it is looking for this. I don't know which one to use, or where I am using it. I can add a Taxonomy term to the actors, but should they all use the same term? Is there a specific one I should be using?

Lots of questions! Thanks,
Bev.
jonathan.carter

We build the organisation structure dynamically from the Actor hierarchy that you model.

However, to build the organisation chart, the report needs to know which Actor (typically a Group Actor) is the 'root' of the hierarchy - that is the actor that represents the entire enterprise. To do that, we use a Report Constant - 'Org Model - Root Organisation' - and in the Associated Instances slot, we select that root Actor.

That should get it going

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
klawry38

Hi,
Being somewhat of a newb to Essential I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it is to do with the same subject.

As a precursor - we're on v5.
We have followed what documentation we could find and have added our Group Actor to the "Associated Instances" slot (Report Constant-Root Organisation) - and have published - but when selecting the Organisation Structure Model report from the main menu nothing appears (other than the page outline). When selecting the organisation from the Group Actor Catalogue and then selecting Organisation Structure Model from the sub menu the structure chart is displayed.
Question is: Where have we gone wrong for it to work on one report selection but not the other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.
Keith
jonathan.carter

Hi Keith,

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. I've just tried it (to confirm) and have got the expected output.

To confirm, I went to the Report Constant class and selected the Instance: 'Org Model - Root Organisation'.

In the Associated Instances slot, I pushed the + button and selected a relevant Group Actor instance - the one that I've created to represent the 'root' of my organisation.

I published and it displayed on the View.

Both approaches (from the home screen and from the Group Actor catalogue) use the same View. It seems that when you go from the home page the 'root' actor is not being picked up.

Perhaps you could tell me a little more about the structure of your Group Actors, in case there's something unexpected in there that is causing the View a problem.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team