Business Process Model Error

joteo

Hi,

I've encountered the following error when I try to view the model in Business Process Model.

03-Oct-2012 17:43:06 org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters processParameters
INFO: Invalid chunk starting at byte [117] and ending at byte [117] with a value
of [null] ignored
... (skipping 8 lines) ...

(*) -down-> "" as
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Syntax Error?

Does anyone know what's the problem?
TIA!
jonathan.carter

This has the look of some invalid XML characters in the repository.

This can occur when doing things like copying and pasting content from things like Excel or Word where "smart" quotes have been used. However, we normally substitute them automatically, so it could be a different character.
(*) -down-> "" as
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Syntax Error?
Can you tell me more about this? Is '(*) -down->' an instance name? Could be that this is finding its way into the URL (e.g. as a page history label) and that's breaking the request in Tomcat.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
joteo

Hi Jonathan,

Actually I did not use any quotes or '(*) -down->' or any special characters. Also, I did not copy and paste from anywhere, everything was typed and created from scratch :).

Maybe I'll try to create another one and see what happens.
joteo

Hi Jonathan,

I've got this figured out and it's due to the way I've drawn out the business process flow.

In my flow, i start off with Start, followed by an initiatiating event. From this initiating event, it branches out to 3 processes. What is wrong here is that from Start, it did not link to a process. Therefore, the error is encountered.

I'm not sure if this should be the way to be modeled. But nevertheless, at least I figured out where the error is coming from. Hope the above makes sense to you.

Thanks anyway.
jonathan.carter

Thanks for posting back.

You're correct that you must connect a process step to the Start step, so the Viewer knows which step comes first. I should have mentioned that, sorry, but glad to hear that you found it!

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
FiRE2k7

Hey, I get an error after going to the Business Process Model View. First you should know that I converted a sample repository to Version 3.0.4 of the EMM. I used the EMMUpgrade Pack and it worked but unfortunately the BPM View does not. I don't know what the problem is.

Code: Select all

... (skipping 10 lines) ...

(*) -down-> "BA::Calculate fee\n<size:10><color:#6593c8><b>IBR::Fee Billing analyst</b></color></size>" as BACalculatefee
"BACalculatefee" --> "BA::Produce invoice document\n<size:10><color:#6593c8><b>IBR::Fee Billing analyst</b></color></size>" as BAProduceinvoicedocument                         "BAProduceinvoicedocument" --> "" as
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Syntax Error?
jonathan.carter

It could be that this particular model (from an earlier version of the toolset) isn't actually correct. The flow itself stops after 'Produce Invoice Document' - raising an event that then invokes another step, rather then linking the steps explicitly.

Try linking the process steps to each other with the events as separate links to those steps.

We have made a number of bug-fixes on this view, which will be part of the next release.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team