Essential Architecture Reporting

Kari Lehtinen

Dear colleaques,

While trying to activate reporting (by pressing "Publish Repository") I receive err message "Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service :
Essential Viewer ReportService encountered an internal error while receiving your repository snapshot. Contact your system administrator and check Essential Viewer server logs for errors, e.g. memory exceptions." Tomcat -server.xml attributes should be correct - is there any other attributes to be set-up or any other hints for trouble shooting ? Many thanks in advance. Kari L
jonathan.carter

Hi Kari,

First thing to check is that the server.xml in Tomcat has been set to remove the HTTP POST size limit. This is described in the installation guides, setting the maxPostSize property as follows:
<Connector port="8080"
maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
maxThreads="150"
minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"
enableLookups="false"
redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100"
connectionTimeout="20000"
disableUploadTimeout="true"
maxPostSize="0" />
If you go to the Tomcat logs directory (<Tomcat install>/logs) and check the catalina.out file, look for any exceptions that are reported there. It's likely, if you have been doing quite a bit of modelling that Tomcat may need to be allocated more memory. If so, you will see "out of memory exceptions" in the logs.

On Windows, Tomcat's memory is controlled by a configuration application and with this you can increase the amount of memory, e.g. to 500MB.

If you are not seeing any out of memory exceptions in Tomcat, let me know and we can take it from there.

Other things to check are that the version of the Essential Widgets in Protege are aligned to the Essential Viewer version. A recent patch update to fix the Apache webserver issue changes both the Widgets and the Viewer. If these are not updated both together, the Widgets can report a failure to publish the reports to the Viewer, even though they have been successfully sent.

Let me know whether the logs indicate a memory problem and we can take it from there.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
Kari Lehtinen

Hi Jonathan,

I found the solution through changing user access rights - while starting Tomcat process I found information about missing rights. Many thanks for Your facilitation.

Best regards, Kari.
jonathan.carter

Thanks for the update - good news that you've resolved the problem.

By the way, the credentials are there so that you can use the user name and password to control who is authorised to publish models to the Essential Viewer.
However, you may not need this, especially if you are working in a stand-alone installation.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team