Looking for a way to show retired system in roadmaps

jkazmi

Hi,

I have put together a strategic roadmap. I have several systems that are to be retired in a given year. My milestone for each retirement is labeled as "<system name> Decommissioned".

This is too wordy and I was wondering if there is a better way to show the retired state of a system. Is it possible to color code the diamond in red (as an example)?

Thanks
jonathan.carter

You can programmatically set the colour and icon for each milestone, using the 'color' and 'icon' attributes of the 'event' object in the JSON that drives the timeline.

There is a red milestone diamond icon in the js/timeline_js/images folder that you could use to set the icon. You can also set the text for that milestone to red using the 'color' attribute for cases where the milestone is showing a decommissioned system.

Around line 197 of the application roadmap view template is where the attributes are set for each event. You will see 'start', 'title', 'description' and this is where you would add your logic to colour code the event.

In terms of how to identify that the milestone shows that a system has been decommissioned, there are some options. You could classify the architecture state for the milestone in your roadmap, using a Taxonomy Term to identify it as being one where a system has been decommissioned.

More indirectly (and in many ways more powerfully), you could derive this by looking for Strategic Plans that lead you to this Milestone and which have a Planning Action of Decommission. In this way, whenever you reached a milestone via a plan that decommissioned something, the milestone would automatically turn red and you would not have to explicitly define that it's a 'decommission' milestone. However, the query logic would be more complex.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team