Technology Roadmaps

CJD

I'm a newbie to this software & have been evaluating to see if it ticks some boxes in reporting for my management team & the wider organization. So far so good :) . My only problem is around generating technology roadmap views, are there any tutorials around this area? I have played with the demo project & have been unable to make a difference, also in a new project I get nothing. I'm thinking it can't be that complicated, everything else seem straight forward.

All help gratefully received.

Craig
jonathan.carter

Hi Craig,

We don’t have a specific tutorial for the Technology Roadmap, sorry.

The out-of-the-box view needs a couple of things to make it work - and provides the ‘Technology perspective’ on a roadmap - e.g. an enterprise roadmap.

1. Define your roadmap.
If you’re interested only in the technology that is fine, you only need to capture those elements. The roadmap is defined using the Roadmap Model class - an instance per roadmap. Each milestone on the roadmap must be linked to the Architecture State instance that defines that milestone - so remember to “open up” each milestone shape on the diagram and map it to the Architecture State.
The Technology Roadmap view is looking for those roadmap transitions (the arrows on the diagram) that are mapped to Technology Strategic Plans. Note that you can have multiple plans mapped to a roadmap transition.
Use the timeline points (and connect them to the Architecture states from Architecture State to Timeline point) to define the timeline for the roadmap. Note that each timeline point must be connected to an instance of a Time object to define the time either by Year, Quarter or specific day.

2. Set up the View configuration
With the content of your roadmap captured, the final step that the out-of-the-box view needs is to specify which roadmap model is your Technology Roadmap. (Note that this is just the way this view works - other roadmaps could be more complex / allow to combine multiple roadmap models etc.)

To specify the roadmap that is to be used, we do this using a Report Constant instance in the repository (in Protege), called “Technology_Roadmap”. Select this instance and in the Associated Instances slot, find and select your roadmap.

3. Publish your repository and select the Technology Roadmap View from the default homepage in Essential Viewer.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
CJD

That's great, many thanks for this, it was the report constant value which was fooling me.

I've now managed to start plotting some strategic milestones along a timeline.

I notice within one of the example repositories on a business roadmap view there are milestones joined by a line, can you tell me how to achieve this?

I can't seem to work it out.
jonathan.carter

Hi,

The lines show the transitions between each milestone and are defined by the Strategic Plans that are associated with the transition arc on the roadmap diagram. Double-click on a transition or select it and click on the spy-glass button to open the transition object. Once you've done that, you can then select the Strategic Plans which define what must be done to transition from one milestone to another.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team