Installation problems

FelisFera

I just installed essential architect. Then installed essential viewer package. However I get the following error messages.
---------------

At the Essential architecture reporting tab
Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service :
Essential Viewer ReportService could not be found at this URL.
-------------------------
Tomcat error when viewing the essential viewer web page.

type Status report

description The requested resource () is not available.

Any help would be much appreciated

Jason
jonathan.carter

Hi Jason.

The Essential Viewer web application supports both these capabilities - the publishing from Protege and delivery of the Views.

I think the first thing to check is that the Essential Viewer web application has been deployed successfully to Tomcat. There have been some reports that it is not automatically being deployed by Tomcat, e.g. on Windows 7.

Check that the file 'essential_viewer.war' has been installed in the Tomcat webapps folder: <TOMCAT_INSTALL>/webapps/
If so, the Essential installer has completed successfully. Tomcat should automatically deploy this WAR file to create a folder in their called 'essential_viewer'. So, you should also be able to see a folder called:
<TOMCAT_INSTALL>/webapps/essential_viewer/

If not, try shutting down and restarting Tomcat. Sometimes Tomcat needs to notice that there's a new WAR to deploy.

If that does not work, go into the Tomcat Manager application at the URL
http://localhost:8080/
(Assuming that you are logged onto the machine where you have installed Tomcat). If not, replace 'localhost' with the hostname of the server on which you've installed Tomcat. (It's worth checking that you've updated the Essential Architecture Reporting tab URL to this server, too!)

Check that 'essential_viewer' is listed in the set of deployed applications. If not, try deploying the WAR file that you've installed using the deployment function in Tomcat Manager.

The above suggestions will check that the Essential Viewer application has been deployed successfully. Let me know how these checks go and we can take it from there.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
FelisFera

Thanks for the quick and informative reply Jonathan

Everying is working now. The problem was Tomcat was running under a "restricted" account". Problem resolved by running the startup.bat file as an "administrator"

The long version...

I followed the trouble shooting method you provided and was able to determine that Tomcat wasn't creating the directory <TOMCAT_INSTALL>/webapps/essential_viewer/.

I also got an error trying to access the Tomcat Manager. Along the lines of "resource not found".

Tomcat was installed in the /Program Files directory (windows 7 machine). I was starting the service using a "restricted account". Whilst the service was starting I was getting the errors described previously.

I was able to run the application successfully by starting Tomcat executing( startup.bat) using "run as administrator" . I have since changed the sharing of the Tomcat directory to allow my "user" account full access to the directory.

Cheers Jason
jonathan.carter

Great to hear that you got it running.

Thanks very much for posting the long version of what you had to do - that's bound to be of use to others running on Windows 7.

I'll take a look into whether there's anything we can do about this - beyond updating the installation trouble-shooting guides.

Thanks again

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
bryme

I have a related question to the viewer installation - i seem to have the viewer installed, but am unsure if all of it is installed correctly. When I view the list of reports and follow the video tutorial (#2), I see fewer reports that what is shown - missing the "Project Strategy Alignment". Would this be custom report that is part of another download package?

Thank You.

Brian
jonathan.carter

Hi Brian,

There are two things that control what you see in the default index. Firstly, as you say, you need to ensure that the View that you want is actually installed. Secondly, the way the out-of-the-box index is organised is controlled by a section of the repository in the EA_Support section, called Essential_Viewer.

The 'Project Strategy Alignment' report has been superseded by the Application Technology Strategy Alignment report, which is included in the Strategy Management Pack or the Essential Viewer Patch Update 1.

Adding a new report is covered in the Adding New Reports tutorial. Typically, we only need to add new catalogue Views to the index rather than specific views. This is certainly the case with the Application Technology Strategy Alignment report, where you would add the catalogue view that presents the list of Application Providers. Selecting an Application presents the alignment report for that Application Provider.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
schulmkg

jonathan.carter wrote:Hi Jason.

The Essential Viewer web application supports both these capabilities - the publishing from Protege and delivery of the Views.

I think the first thing to check is that the Essential Viewer web application has been deployed successfully to Tomcat. There have been some reports that it is not automatically being deployed by Tomcat, e.g. on Windows 7.

Check that the file 'essential_viewer.war' has been installed in the Tomcat webapps folder: <TOMCAT_INSTALL>/webapps/
If so, the Essential installer has completed successfully. Tomcat should automatically deploy this WAR file to create a folder in their called 'essential_viewer'. So, you should also be able to see a folder called:
<TOMCAT_INSTALL>/webapps/essential_viewer/

If not, try shutting down and restarting Tomcat. Sometimes Tomcat needs to notice that there's a new WAR to deploy.

If that does not work, go into the Tomcat Manager application at the URL
http://localhost:8080/
(Assuming that you are logged onto the machine where you have installed Tomcat). If not, replace 'localhost' with the hostname of the server on which you've installed Tomcat. (It's worth checking that you've updated the Essential Architecture Reporting tab URL to this server, too!)

Check that 'essential_viewer' is listed in the set of deployed applications. If not, try deploying the WAR file that you've installed using the deployment function in Tomcat Manager.

The above suggestions will check that the Essential Viewer application has been deployed successfully. Let me know how these checks go and we can take it from there.

Jonathan
OK I'm having the same problem here. Tomcat is running - as a Windows Service logged in as Administrator for the system and the Essential Viewer is running as an application on TomCat (validated through the TomCat viewer)

I can even run reports against the baseline deployed data. I just can't publish data from the Protege server we have been entering data in from.
schulmkg

Note, the environment I am running in is Windows Server 2008 SP 1
schulmkg

As I mentioned I'm running Windows Server 2008. I had a problem with the Protoge Server startup where Protoge was assuming that it was being installed in "\Program Files" directory instead of the "\Program Files (x86)" directory that 32 bit apps get installed on in the x64 Windows Servers

Are there any similar assumed dependencies in the Essential_Viewer tool? Essential_manager is also installed in the (x86) subdir and that is where the meta-project and the current repository files sit.

Now I realize this ought not be an issue in finding the "reporting service" application... unless of course it is
jonathan.carter

If you can browse to the Essential Viewer homepage

http://<HOSTNAME>:8080/essential_viewer

then you have installed the Essential Viewer component successfully and the problem with publishing your repository lies elsewhere.

The Report Service to which the repository is published is part of the Essential Viewer, so if you can navigate to the Viewer homepage in your browser, then it is installed and listening.

The Viewer is separate from Protege and only depends on Tomcat from a runtime perspective. Obviously, it needs the content of the repository from Protege but there are no runtime environment dependencies there.

I'm going to take a look at your other posts about the widgets (one of which is the component that publishes a snapshot of the repository to the Viewer). First, we need to make sure that it is installed correctly and then look at any error messages.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
schulmkg

jonathan.carter wrote:If you can browse to the Essential Viewer homepage

http://<HOSTNAME>:8080/essential_viewer

then you have installed the Essential Viewer component successfully and the problem with publishing your repository lies elsewhere.

The Report Service to which the repository is published is part of the Essential Viewer, so if you can navigate to the Viewer homepage in your browser, then it is installed and listening.

The Viewer is separate from Protege and only depends on Tomcat from a runtime perspective. Obviously, it needs the content of the repository from Protege but there are no runtime environment dependencies there.

I'm going to take a look at your other posts about the widgets (one of which is the component that publishes a snapshot of the repository to the Viewer). First, we need to make sure that it is installed correctly and then look at any error messages.

Jonathan
I can succesfully navigate to http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer and I get the top level page. and if I drill down on the technology part of the repository, I get the stock repository that comes with the viewer (easy to check that since I've added Unisys as a supplier and it doesn't show up)

but I cannot "publish" a snapshot of the repository.

When I check the tomcat Catalina logs after a failed publish, I get no error listed.
jonathan.carter

Thanks.

The issue is not with the Essential Viewer but rather with the publishing tab (within Protege) I believe.

From your other post about the installation problems that you've been experiencing, it seems that the Essential Architecture Reporting Tab may not be installed. This is what is required to update the content in your Viewer environment.

Could you just confirm whether you have been able to follow the Publishing Your Architecture Model tutorial? Is the Reporting Tab available to you in Protege?

Can you tell me more about the "failed publish"? This suggests that the report tab is there but failing to publish, while your other posts suggest that it is not installed.

If not, this is whether the problem lies. Once we get this widget installed in your Protege environment, your updates will be reflected in the Viewer.
I've posted back about the install issues but have included a couple of questions for you to try to get a better insight into what's going on.

Take a look at that post and let me know the answer to those questions and we'll get this all running correctly.

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
dpurcell

I am having a similar problem deploying the Essential Viewer. Unfortunately none of the above has solved my problem.

I have deployed the essential viewer and the essential_viewer.war file is in both the ....\Tomcat 6.0\webapps folder and the ....\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\essential_viewer folder.
The essential_viewer folder in the ....\Tomcat 6.0\ contains 7 other folders suggesting that essential viewer has been correctly deployed.

When I try to create a report in Essential Project I get the error
Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service :
Essential Viewer ReportService could not be found at this URL.
I have loaded tomcat ok and it is running as a service under Windows XP and the tomcat examples operate OK.

I can get into the tomcat manager and I see that essential viewer path is listed under Applications and that it has "True" in the "Running" column, but it has no "Sessions" and it does not have a "Description".
When I try "http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer/" I get a 404 error with the message "The requested resource (/essential_viewer/) is not available."

I have tried using the Deploy in the tomcat manager and it did not solve the problem.

I have used the essential_baseline_v1.2 Protege Project for to attempt to publish the report.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
jonathan.carter

Hi.

Can I just confirm that you have your Tomcat running on port 8080? This is the default but I just want to check as you mention that other, bundled web apps are responding but that Essential Viewer is not.

I think the best place to start is to get the Viewer environment responding to the web browser - that is make sure that you can get to the Essential Viewer homepage.

You say that 'essential_viewer.war' is in both:

<TOMCAT>/webapps
and
<TOMCAT>/webapps/essential_viewer

That is not a correct installation. The 'essential_viewer.war' file should be in <TOMCAT>/webapps and when Tomcat is running, it will unpack this WAR file to create the 'essential_viewer' folder.

It's worth trying to remove the 'essential_viewer.war' file from <TOMCAT>/webapps/essential_viewer and restarting Tomcat and see whether that enables the homepage URL to work.
http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer

Note, that if you have configured Tomcat to run on any other port (e.g. port 80) then update the above URL to reflect this by changing the 8080 number in the URL to whatever your Tomcat port is set to.

However, it might be best to re-deploy the Essential Viewer web application to make sure we have a clean deployment. To do this, start Tomcat and then remove (delete) 'essential_viewer.war' from the <TOMCAT>/webapps folder. This should cause the 'essential_viewer' folder to be removed. If not, remove it.

With Tomcat still running, copy the 'essential_viewer.war' from the installer back into <TOMCAT>/webapps - or re-run the installer and just select the Essential Viewer module to be installed. When it asks where to install Viewer, select your <TOMCAT>/webapps folder.

Once we get the homepage working, we can be confident that the Essential Viewer environment is deployed correctly and this should resolve the publishing problem that you are experiencing.

Let me know how you get on with this

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
dpurcell

Hi Jonathan,

That solved it - deleting/removing and re-deploying the viewer.

I have at looked some random reports in the viewer and most work. Some of the Information and Data ones are giving a blank page. However, I am not too concerned at this stage as I have added some of our company specific information concepts and have not comletely linked them into the ontology, so I assume it is because of that.

If when I have completed my simple company specific test ontology I still have this problem I will post again.

Thanks once again for your speedy assistance.
neil.walsh

That's great news. Thanks for the update