Error in publishing

Sankaran

Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service :
No response from the Report Service at this URL.

This is the error am getting while trying to publish one project file.

URL : http://localhost:9000/essential_viewer/reportService

Changed tomcat port in "reporttab.properties" within "C:\Program Files\Protege_3.4.4\plugins\com.enterprise_architecture.essential.widgets" and still same error. Samples downloaded from Essential websites are working.

Is there any setting which we need to change ?

http://localhost:9000/essential_viewer

This is opening Report Home Page.

Cheers
Sankaran
jonathan.carter

Hi Sankaran,

I've had a look at the sample repository that you sent and can replicate this problem.
Looking at the Protege console, it seems that the Essential Architecture Reporting tab is throwing an exception.

I've looked into this and there's a scenario that has not been coded for in the reporting tab. I've posted the reply here so that others can take advantage of what we've found.

The exception is thrown (and not handled correctly) whenever you have instances that use the Graph Widget but have not got any elements on the graphical panel. E.g. Process Flows, Architecture diagrams etc. I noticed that you have 3 of these in your repository (1 Technology Product Architecture, 1 Technology Component Architecture and 1 Static Application Service Architecture).
The work-around is to delete these instances from the repository (they have no content, so you are not losing information) and re-publish.

I've logged this bug and we'll get an update to the Essential Architecture Reporting Tab out as soon as we can.

Thanks for posting!

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
Sankaran

Thanks Jonathan.

It worked and able to publish now !
jonathan.carter

Just a quick post to let you know that a new update to the Essential Widgets is now available to download that fixes this problem.
I've tested it with the sample repository that you sent and it everything runs fine.

Have a look at this link for more information about this update release.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
coxb

HI!

I'm getting the same error, but I've gone through my database and ensured that all my graph widgets that are used have models in them. Could there be another cause?

Note: I'm a new user of Essential Architecture, so I'm not sure how to export a file to send you to check.

Beth
coxb

Hi, again!

I have an update on my issue. I tried this with the sample projects and keep getting the same error, so definitely seems to be something in my installation.

Is there anyone who can assist?

Beth
jonathan.carter

Hi Beth.

I think the best place to start with is to make sure that you're Viewer installation is working.

Just as some background, the modelling tools in Protege communicate with the Viewer when you do a publish, so if there's something wrong with the Viewer, the Essential Architecture Reporting Tab will report an error.

The initial installation of Essential Viewer includes a baseline repository, so that we can check all is OK before we do any publishing from Protege.

Some questions?
- Are you running in stand-alone mode? That is, you have the whole Essential Architecture Manager installation running on a single computer, e.g. your laptop or workstation?

- Or are you running in a multi-user mode? That is, the Essential Viewer and the Essential Repository are installed on a server that you are accessing over the network?

If you're running standalone, you can use 'localhost' in the following URLs I'm going to quote and if you're running in multi-user (client-server) you use the hostname of the server that Essential Viewer is installed on in the following URLs.

So, to check that Viewer is installed correctly, open a web browser and enter the following URL:

Code: Select all

http://<hostname>:8080/essential_viewer
e.g.

Code: Select all

http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer
This article contains a bit more information about how to get started with the Viewer.

If the Viewer is installed properly, you'll see the default homepage for Essential Viewer. See the above Viewing Your Architecture Model article for some screenshots of what you should see.

If, however, you get any error message, then there's a problem with the installation of the Viewer.
If the browser returns an error about the server not being available or could not connect to server, check that Tomcat (or your favourite alternative Java Web Application Server) is running. On Windows, go to the Manage Tomcat system tray icon, right-click and select Start. You may have to start the Monitor / Manage Tomcat tray element from the Start Button->Programs->Apache Tomcat.

If you are getting a 404 message from Tomcat, then it running but there's a problem with the installation of the Essential Viewer application.

Hopefully, these checks will give us a clearer idea of what's not working on your install. Could you let me know what platform you're running on? (e.g. Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS/X)

Let me know how you get on with the above, and if there's still a problem or it appears that Essential Viewer is not installed properly, let me know what you're seeing and we can take it from there.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
companic

I am experiencing this error

Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service :
Server error. The URL appears to OK but sending the repository snapshot could not be completed. Contact your system administrator and check Essential Viewer server logs for errors, e.g. memory exceptions.

I spent two days figuring this issue, went to tomcat logs but does not help. I set the POST size to "0", check read and write on folders. I did all I can. It seems that it is mostly a server error. I need help pleaaaaaaaase, my manager needs a report soon
jonathan.carter

The first thing to check is that Essential Viewer is deployed and running in your Tomcat (or other Java App Server) environment.

If you are running all this on a stand-alone installation, check that the following URL works:

http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer

If you're running Viewer on a remote server, replace 'localhost' with the server hostname.

The ReportService that the publishing tab uses runs as part of Essential Viewer, so if you haven't got Viewer running, then the ReportService will not be available.

Assuming that the above URLs are working, then make sure that the URL that you have in the Essential Architecture Reporting Tab is correct. Look out for the hostname and port (e.g. localhost:8080) in there. Every successful publish attempt saves the URL in the drop-down list for future use.
NOTE: the URL for the ReportService is different to the Essential Viewer environment. It should read something like:

http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer/reportService

If that looks correct, the next step is to look at the end of the catalina.out file (assuming that you are using Tomcat) just after you receive this message - any server-side exceptions or problems should be reported in there. Feel free to post an extract of that and I'll have a look at the errors you are seeing.

Hopefully, this gives you a few things to try that should sort the problem out.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team