Hierarchical Presentation of capabilities

prenet

Hello

I was wondering if you had the intention to develop view report that would show capabilities in a hierarchical form. i.e something like:
Capability 0
-Capability 0.1
--Capability 0.1.1
--Capability 0.1.2
--Capability 0.1.3
-Capability 0.2
--Capability 0.2.1

Thanks
Pascal.
jonathan.carter

Hi Pascal.

Thanks for the post.

We have done a number of different renderings of the Business Capability model for our clients, mostly based on a graphical rendering of the overall Business Capability Model - similar to the current out of the box but with an improved Capability and sub-capabilities perspective.

Examples would include an initial 2-level model (Level 0 capabilities and their contained Level 1 capabilities) that could be expanded further to 3 levels etc. Or straight to a 3 or 4 level rendering (more than this can be rather difficult on the eye!) as a launch-point for further click-through analysis.
We frequently find that using this as the basis for heat maps is very useful.

We're looking at which new views will go into the next version, and these are likely to include improved business capability models.

Do these sound like the sort of thing that you had in mind?

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
colinfrewen

Hi Pascal,

We can chat offline but there is already a hierarchy in Business capability. Once you a capability root you can derive the hierarchy from the parent child relationships. We have however, also added in an index which we use for reporting positions although this can be used to generate the hierarchy you are talking about

Regards
Colin
jkazmi

jonathan.carter wrote:Hi Pascal.

Thanks for the post.

We have done a number of different renderings of the Business Capability model for our clients, mostly based on a graphical rendering of the overall Business Capability Model - similar to the current out of the box but with an improved Capability and sub-capabilities perspective.

Examples would include an initial 2-level model (Level 0 capabilities and their contained Level 1 capabilities) that could be expanded further to 3 levels etc. Or straight to a 3 or 4 level rendering (more than this can be rather difficult on the eye!) as a launch-point for further click-through analysis.
We frequently find that using this as the basis for heat maps is very useful.

We're looking at which new views will go into the next version, and these are likely to include improved business capability models.

Do these sound like the sort of thing that you had in mind?

Jonathan
I would also be interested in this type of view. I think currently this can be done through the Business Object/Change Footprint view. However that view requires many other associations which are physical in nature (services, applications, providers etc.). We're in the very beginning stages of using the tool and would only like to see a simple hierarchical visualization.
colinfrewen

Various views of the capability model ... with levels 1,2, 3, 4

Easy to do with current class structure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyMcVey

Hi

I'm trying to achieve exactly this with both the business capability model and the technology reference model. Please can you advise on how to model nested capabilities/technology categories so that they're rendered with multiple levels showing within the viewer?

For the business capability model I've created a simple set of nested capabilities (currently 4 levels) The only slots defined are name, business capability index and parent/contained capabilities, as appropriate. I've used Level 1 for the organisation capability, which I've referenced as the Report_Constant Root Business Capability. The viewer currently shows levels 2 and 3, but no further. Level 4 (sub-capability) can be accessed by clicking on the level 3 capability and doesn't appear in the capability model view directly.

Is there a method available to produce models that look similar to the snapshots that Colin attached to his last post? I'd like to show at least 4 levels in the model, if possible.

Many thanks,
Andy
jonathan.carter

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your post.

What Colin has shown here are Views that are extended versions of the out-of-the-box Views.
Currently, what you get in the open-source version is limited to 2 or so levels - however, as Colin says, the repository is ready to manage as many levels of detail that you might want 4, 5, 6…

In the screenshots that Colin shared, he has extended the open source views to render the additional levels (and add some more features) - and this is something that we very much encourage people to do.

Let us know if you would be interested in help with extending those views.

Regards

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
AndyMcVey

Jonathan

Many thanks for the comprehensive response. I was rather hoping to avoid creating my own reports but will take a look and assess the complexity.

In one of your previous responses (back in 2014!) you mentioned you were considering adding some new views to the next release. Is this something that's still under consideration, perhaps for a future release?

Kind regards,
Andy
jonathan.carter

Hi Andy,

This is certainly still on the list of out-of-the-box Views to include but unfortunately it didn’t make it into the latest release.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team